6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Department of Computer Science
Hanover, NH 03755
Office: 219 Sudikoff Laboratory
- Jun. 2018: Started summer internship at Google, Kirkland!
- Aug. 2017: Finished internship at Nokia Bell Labs, Cambridge, UK. Very lucky to work with fantastic researchers at Bell Labs.
- Oct. 2016: Visiting the University of Cambridge hosted by Professor Cecilia Mascolo.
- Jul. 2016: DarkLight got accepted by MobiCom'16.
- Apr. 2016: Check out my HotMobile'16 talk on YouTube.
- Dec. 2015: DarkVLC got accepted by HotMobile'16.
- Oct. 2015: Gave a talk at II New England Networking and Systems Day on Visible Light Communication in the Dark.
- Sept. 2015: Great time at MobiCom'15, Paris. LiSense won the Best Video Award (see the video). I won the bronze medal in the ACM Student Research Competition.
- Jun. 2015: "Poster: Visible Light Communication in the Dark" is accepted by MobiCom'15!
I am a fifth-year Ph.D. student in the Department of Computer Science at Dartmouth College. I am a member of the DartNets (Dartmouth Networking and Ubiquitous Systems) Lab, under the supervision of Prof. Xia Zhou. I received my B.S. in Computer Science and B.A. (minor) in Economics from Peking University in July, 2013. I was a research intern at Bell Labs Cambridge from May to August 2017. I was a visiting researcher in the University of Cambridge from October to December 2016 and a research exchange undergraduate in UCLA from September to December 2012.
My research interest focuses on mobile systems and wireless networking. I have been tackling physical-layer and networking challenges of Visible Light Communication (VLC), aiming to broaden the application scenario of VLC and push VLC closer to the practice. I have also examined the application of light sensing and its fusion with other sensing modalities. I worked on Wi-Fi sensing during my intership at Bell Labs. Before joining DartNets, I was an undergraduate research assistant at the Center for Energy-efficient Computing and Applications (CECA), Peking University and conducted research on FPGA and Software Defined Radio (SDR) system.
Conference and Workshop Papers
- Augmenting Indoor Inertial Tracking with Polarized Light
Z. Tian, Y.-L. Wei, W.-N. Chang, X. Xiong, C. Zheng, H.-M. Tsai, K. Lin, and X. Zhou
- Measuring Interaction Proxemics with Wearable Light Tags
A. Montanari, Z. Tian, E. Francu, B. Lucas, B. Jones, X. Zhou, and C. Mascolo
Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies(IMWUT), vol. 2, no. 1, 2018 [PDF]
- Position: Augmenting Inertial Tracking with Light
Z. Tian, Y. Wei, X. Xiong, W. Chang, H. Tsai, K. Lin, C. Zheng, X. Zhou
4th ACM Workshop on Visible Light Communication Systems (VLCS), 2017
- The DarkLight Rises: Visible Light Communication in the Dark
Z. Tian, K. Wright, and X. Zhou
MobiCom'2016 (Best Video Award) [PDF][Video][Slides][Project Website]
- Lighting Up the Internet of Things with DarkVLC
Z. Tian, K. Wright, and X. Zhou
- Human Sensing Using Visible Light Communication
T. Li, C. An, Z. Tian, A. Campbell, and X. Zhou
MobiCom'2015 (Best Video Award) [PDF][Project Website]
- Visible Light Knows Who You Are
C. An, T. Li, Z. Tian, A. Campbell, and X. Zhou
2nd ACM Workshop on Visible Light Communication Systems (VLCS), 2015
Demos and Posters
- Poster: Visible Light Communication in the Dark
Z. Tian, A. Campbell, and X. Zhou
MobiCom'2015 (Second Place in ACM Student Research Competition) [PDF][Poster]
I hope that my research improves the respect for individuals.
Last updated: August 2018