The wisdom of Robert (Bob) M. Cohen 1941-2007
- If things were slow in the shop, he would shout "whoop!" and then say "
what are we doing? Whopoping it up!"
- "kill them all, let God sort them out" - but he did not know that was a paraphrase of Cardinal Rechelu's "Kill them all, God will choose his own"
- He would talk to the truck driver about how spring would come and the women students would take off their down vests and be in tee shirts again
- Of the local police chief at the time - " His strength is that he isn't afraid to hire officers who are smarter than he is"
- his favorite tool - BFH - big fucking hammer
- the herman - a cubic mouthful of breast
- he had a Volvo which would never get south of Windsor without breaking
- in the army he wrote "combat" over his name on his fatigues - as in "Combat Cohen", a takeoff on the comic book "Combat Kelly"
- He called himself "Sweet Old Bob" but just went by the initials
- One of the Raleigh bike salesmen, Bob Bolyn, called him "sir" , Bob Cohen objected, and Bob Bolen said "well I can pronounce it "cur"
- When you own a bicycle repair shop, you have almost all the tools you need to repair wheelchairs. Seeing as Mary Hitchcock Hospital is a renowned institution connected with Dartmouth college, Dad did a bit of side work for the pedestrially different residents in town. One day in The Pedaler, dad's helper Wayne had just finished working on a chair---truing the spokes, checking the brakes, what have you. Wayne then sat down in the chair for a quick test drive in the store, popping a few wheelies and making sure everything worked.
As two women walked into the store, Dad walked around the counter and laid his hand on Wayne's head.
"Arise, my son, and walk."
So Wayne got up.
And then the two ladies almost fell over with shock.
(this is from Jay Cohen)
- If you can't take a fuck, Joke 'em (from Kevin Walsh)
- He paid his condimnium fee in doller coins as a protest against something that bothered him
- It is like hitting your head against the wall - it feels so good when you stop
- he thinks is shit doesn't stink
- I overheard Emil Reub, who owned the Camera Store, said "My employees are my fingers, and my fingers aren't doing what I tell them." I told Bob and he said "There is no one more German than a German Jew."