Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] De Visee

From: David van Ooijen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 14:56:22 +0200

Dear Monica

This discussion cropped up on Facebook lately. I'll copy the response
I gave there:

Toyohiko is speculating on how De Visée's retirement from public life
might have influenced his compositions for Baroque lute, and links
that to his own position in life and to his interpretations of De
Visée's music. I quote from the booklet: "This is all my imagination
and conjecture [...] it was this imagination that drove me to perform
the pieces ..." In other words, the story in the CD-booklet is about
motivation and inspiration, not about historical facts.

David

On 6 August 2013 14:49, Monica Hall <[email-masked]> wrote:
>    I just read in a review of Toyohiko Satoh's latest recording of De
>    Visee that De Visee was born in a little village called Viseu in
>    Portugal near Coimbra where he learnt the guitar.  After studying at
>    university he moved to Paris where he studied the guitar with Corbetta
>    and the viol with Fourqueray.
>
>    Has anyone else heard this and does anyone know the source of the
>    information?

-- 
*******************************
David van Ooijen
[email-masked]
www.davidvanooijen.nl
*******************************