Subject: 2 very short pieces for Russian seven-string guitar (early 19th century)

From: WALSH STUART <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 20:36:22 +0000

Thanks to Alexander Batov for the translation (and details) of the 
Sychra piece

A. Sychra: I told my beloved (almost all in first position, no variations)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2I4iCqvf4w

M.Vysotsky (or not!) Prelude 2 from Preludes, early 19th century but 
published in the 1840s by Stellovsky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMuDVI4IWYY

The "or not" in brackets would be immediately obvious to anyone who has 
played the classcial guitar if they can see the image of the page of 
music  on the video. It should be HD but it's all blurry. But the image 
gets clearer as it plays and I'm referring to the pieces that precede 
and follow Prelude 2.

I really like the little  Prelude 2  although it  has 'issues' and I've 
altered three notes. A few years ago, the only 19th century Russian 
guitar music I could find in Britain was what is, or was, listed as a 
tutor by Vysotsky. It turns out to be all or most of his collected works 
as published by Stellovsky. I got half of it. I might have got the bad 
half but I suspect the other half is the same. Vysotsky was an 
uneducated serf and the 75 collected works were published after his 
death. As far as I can see none of them are immediately playable. Later 
editions of Vysotsky - almost always virtuosic variations on folk tunes 
- have been thoroughly edited and ready to play - for those who have the 
technique to play them!

Stuart

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com