Subject: Re: Scarlatti in Spain

From: "Monica Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 22:33:53 +0100

I'm sorry - but what you say is just speculation.

   What I was asking was if there is any documentary evidence.   For
   example are there any letters which he wrote in which he refers to
   hearing the guitar played.

   Do we know what kind of music he heard played and so on.

   Monica

   ----- Original Message -----

   From: [1]Eduard Agullo

   To: [2]Monica Hall

   Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:07 PM

   Subject: Scarlatti in Spain

   Hello Monica,

         I am a Spanish guitarist, and I follow your vihuela list
   frequently, even If I don't post very much.
   I am a bit surprised about your doubts.

     The guitar in my country has many centuries of history, much before
   Scarlatti, during his visit to Madrid and after. Still nowadays is
   possible to listen the popular guitarists, the classical ones.
     If we can listen so easily the guitar in Spain, why he couldn't ???

    Another question is the influence of it on his keyboard sonatas. I
   find his music abstract, geometric and far from the Spanish folk music.
   I am not an specialist on Spanish folk music. But when I  listen
   Scarlatti I find his style more Italian ( classical ) than Spanish (
   popular ).
    I think that you understand my humble point of view.

    So that Scarlatti could listen the guitar here as we can, of course it
   is perfectly possible.

     Greetings from the Spanish spring,

    Eduard V. Agullo

   --

References

   1. mailto:[email-masked]
   2. mailto:[email-masked]