Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Fuenllana

From: Martyn Hodgson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 17:21:32 +0000 (GMT)

Well, Orphenica Lyra is 1554 and I'd not think he'd be much younger
   than around 30 for such a prestigious (and large - ie expensive)
   publication.

   So I'd put his date of birth around 1520. I suspect the c 1500 - 1579
   means that 1500 is a guess but 1579 is evidenced. 1579 also fits with
   average adult lifespan of the period of around 60 (ie excluding
   children with their extremely high early mortality rate).

   Is there nothing in the extensive prologue, dedication, notes which
   give some idea of his history?

   Martyn
   --- On Wed, 2/1/13, Monica Hall <[email-masked]> wrote:

     From: Monica Hall <[email-masked]>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Fuenllana
     To: "Vihuelalist" <[email-masked]>
     Date: Wednesday, 2 January, 2013, 14:33

      Does anyone have any dates for Fuenllana.  I have just come across a
      source which gives them as c.1500-1579.   It seems unlikely to me
   that
      he would have lived to be 79... Groves gives fl. 1553-1578.
      Monica
      --
   To get on or off this list see list information at
   [1]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

   --

References

   1. http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html