Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Matteis

From: "Monica Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 16:12:40 -0000

It is on p.2 at the end of the third stave.

   Whilst you are looking at the book could you also look at the following
   piece on p.3, the last stave.  You will see that the same phrase occurs
   twice.  Matteis has indicated that the 4th and 5th courses are to be
   omitted the first time (in the first full bar) with dots, but the
   second time (bar 5) there are no dots!

   Monica

   ----- Original Message -----

   From: [1]Martyn Hodgson

   To: [2]Monica Hall

   Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:08 PM

   Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Matteis

   Page no in 1682 original plse
   M
     __________________________________________________________________

   From: Monica Hall <[3][email-masked]>
   To: Vihuelalist <[4][email-masked]>
   Sent: Thursday, 14 November 2013, 15:34
   Subject: [VIHUELA] Matteis
     On p.260 of his dissertation Alex Dean has reproduced two passages
   from
     Matteis's "False consonances".
     In his transcription of the excerpt at the top of the page Dean
     proposes that the open 1st and 5th courses should be included in
     all the chords in the 2nd and 3rd bars.
     Although Matteis does put dots on the lines very frequently to
   indicate
     that courses should be omitted he has not done so here.  However he
     does not seem to me to be wholly consistent about putting in the
   dots,
     about putting in"a"s for open courses - or for that matter in
     indicating whether 4 part chords should be strummed.
     I wonder how many people on the list - who can be bothered to look at
     it - would include the open course in this passage.
     Perhaps we could have a vote on it!
     As ever
     Monica
     --
   To get on or off this list see list information at
   [5]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

   --

References

   1. mailto:[email-masked]
   2. mailto:[email-masked]
   3. mailto:[email-masked]
   4. mailto:[email-masked]
   5. http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html