(lightly edited version of Brandon Bayne's original from UNC)
- Nobody signed up for this.
- Not for the sickness, not for the social distancing, not for the sudden end of our collective lives together on campus
- Not for an online class, not for teaching remotely, not for learning from home, not for mastering new technologies
- The humane option is the best option.
- We are going to prioritize supporting each other as humans
- We are going to prioritize simple solutions that make sense for the most
- We are going to prioritize communicating clearly
- We cannot just do the same thing online.
- Some assignments are no longer possible
- Some expectations are no longer reasonable
- Some objectives are no longer valuable
- We will foster intellectual nourishment, social connection, and personal accommodation.
- Accessible asynchronous content for diverse access, time zones, and contexts
- Optional (though highly enouraged) synchronous discussion to learn together and combat isolation
- We will remain flexible and adjust to the situation.
- Nobody knows where this is going and what we'll need to adapt
- Everybody needs support and understanding in this unprecedented moment