M. Douglas McIlroy, Adjunct Professor
Department of Computer Science
6211 Sudikoff Hall
Hanover, NH 03755
+1 603 646 1077
- 2003 marked my golden anniversary as a programmer. Hooked when Bob
Walker introduced his numerical analysis class to Cornell's newly-arrived IBM
CPC, I have ever since applied my training in engineering, physics, and math
to this endlessly fascinating vocation. I had the good fortune to head a
research department at Bell Labs in which Unix was born, and to work
with some of the most creative talents in computing. Some things I have worked
- Languages and compilers: macros, Lisp, PL/I, TMG (a compiler-compiler), regular
expressions; influenced Snobol, Altran, C++
- Stream processing: Unix pipes,
classic coroutine sieve, power
- Computer security
- Unix programs: spell, diff, sort, join, graph, speak, tr, tsort, calendar, echo, tee, quiz, etc.
- Cartography: map projections
- Algorithms for graphics
- Storage allocation theory and practice; first conservative
- Theorem-proving in logic and geometry
- Documentation: making Unix manuals short and accurate
- Upon retiring from Bell Labs, I moved to another happy
situation, at Dartmouth as adjunct professor of
and affiliate of the
for Security Technology Studies. Here I have taught
- Advanced operating systems, CS108
- Information systems, CS33
- Data structures, CS15
- Logic of programming, CS188
- Programming languages, CS118
- and have given guest lectures in several other
W A S S A I L R A C I S M C H A P S B L O C
A N T E N N A E V I N C E H O U R I R U D Y
S T R I N G Y P E R S O N A R R A S A X I S
S E I Z U R E A S C E N T M A I N S G E N T
A N N U L A R S T U C C O P E C K Y
I N G R A T E T A S T E R
L A Y E R E D
HILLARY MENTORS SILVERY VERVAIN; BINDERY SUCCORS CORRIDA SLOGGER.
BARRENS HOLDING GARCONS CONCEAL WALTONS' GYPPING PINNATE GRIFFON.
Power serious: Haskell magic
revert (0:ft) = rs where rs = 0 : 1/(ft#rs)
Pure macros as a programming language
Tiniest C sort function?
Basic CS reading list
Cook's Travels and Other Salesmen's Tales — Dick Karp
An appreciation of the late Dennis Ritchie
Dartmouth's Communication Files:
Interprocess IO before pipes.
for map projections, suffix arrays, quicksort and antiquicksort, word squares, etc.
Original description of Darwin, a 1961 game of
survival of the fittest among programs, progenitor of
Honors: Usenix Association
Software Tools awards; member
National Academy of Engineering; fellow AAAS
Dartmouth CS |
mapped by a committee I chaired.
Piseco Yacht Club
Scenes from Ho, Ghana, 2001.
January 5, 2022