I have a small collection of
favorite papers and books,
which are valuable references for all my students.
I also admire
David Evans' Advice for Prospective Research Students.
Group lunch, March 9, 2017 (with a few students missing).
- Sougata Sen (2017-date), from Singapore Management University
Completed Postdoctoral Fellows
- Reza Rawassizadeh, 2016-17;
now a Research Scientist at University of Rochester.
- Xiaohui Liang (2014-2015),
now Assistant Professor at UMass Boston
- Andrés Molina-Markham (2012-2014),
now a member of research staff at MITRE.
- Jacob Sorber (2010-2012),
now Assistant Professor at Clemson University.
- Minho Shin (2007-2010),
now Assistant Professor at Myongji University in Korea.
- Sergey Bratus (2001-2005, 2007-2008),
now a Research Associate Professor of Computer Science at Dartmouth.
- Apu Kapadia (2005-2008),
now an Assistant Professor at Indiana University.
- Mike Locasto (2008),
now Senior Computer Scientist at SRI's Computer Science Lab.
- Vijay Bhuse (2007),
now an Assistant Professor at East Tennessee State University.
- Yong Sheng (2006-07),
now at Pinterest.
- Tristan Henderson (2003-06),
now a Senior Lecturer in the School of Computer Science at
of St. Andrews in Scotland.
- Minkyong Kim (2004-2006),
now Vice President at Samsung Electronics.
- Arnab Paul (2005),
now a Research Scientist at Intel in Portland.
- Marco Cremonini (2000-2001),
now an Assistant Professor
at Università degli Studi di Milano in Milan, Italy.
Completed Doctoral students
- Tim Pierson (2018).
Secure short-range communications.
Now a Lecturer at Dartmouth College.
- Shrirang Mare (2016).
Seamless Authentication for Ubiquitous Devices.
Now a postdoc at University of Washington.
- Aarathi Prasad (2016).
Privacy-preserving controls for sharing mHealth data.
Now Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Skidmore College.
- Cory Cornelius (2013).
Usable Security for Wireless Body-Area Networks.
Now at Intel Labs in Hillsboro.
- Keren Tan (2011).
Wireless Local-area Network Measurement and Privacy Analysis.
Now at Facebook.
- Udayan Deshpande (2008),
Refocusable Sampling Infrastructure for 802.11
Now at icebrg.io, a cybersecurity firm.
- Ming Li (2008),
Part of the Solar project.
Now at Oracle.
- Soumendra Nanda (2008),
a Monitoring and Management System for
Wireless Mesh Networks.
Now at BAE Systems.
- Libo Song (2008),
Evaluating Mobility Predictors in Wireless Networks for Improving Handoff and Opportunistic Routing.
Now at Google.
- Kazuhiro Minami (2006),
Secure Context-sensitive Authorization.
Now an Associate Professor at the National Institute
of Informatics in Tokyo.
- Guanling Chen (2004),
Solar: Building a context fusion network for pervasive computing.
Leader of the Solar project.
Now an Associate Professor of Computer Science at
University of Massachusetts, Lowell.
- Ron Oldfield (2003),
for Computational Grid Applications;
and Armada home page.
Senior Member of the Technical Staff
in Scalable Computing Systems
at Sandia National Laboratories.
- Jonathan Bredin (2001),
Control of Mobile-agent Systems.
Now at Two Sigma Investments, LLC.
Was an Associate Professor of Mathematics at
- Jon Howell (2000),
Naming and sharing resources across administrative boundaries.
Now at VMware Research, after many years at Microsoft Research
- Nils Nieuwejaar (1996),
A New Parallel File System for Parallel Applications;
see Galley home page.
Now at EMC.
Shrirang Mare and Aarathi Prasad
Completed Master's students
Completed B.A. students in the
- Jay Artz '00, Personal Radio.
- George Boateng '16, StressAware: App for Continuously Measuring and Monitoring Stress Levels in Real Time on the Amulet Wearable Device.
- Debbie Chyi '00, Presidential Scholar; An Infrastructure for a Mobile-Agent System that Provides Personalized Services to Mobile Devices.
- Cenk Ergan '00, Porting the Minix File System to Windows NT.
- Jeff Fielding '08, Linkability in Activity Inference Data Sets.
- Jim Gochee '92,
A Simple Programming Environment for Distributed Execution.
- Emily Greene '17, ShareABEL: Secure Sharing of mHealth Data through Cryptographically-Enforced Access Control.
- Brendan Hahn '92,
Anthrax: A System for Parallel Distributed Computation.
- Ken Harker '95,
Transportable Intelligent Agent System.
- David Harmon '17,
transfer of sensor data from the Amulet to a smartphone.
- Ammar Khalid '01,
A Directory Infrastructure to Support Mobile Services.
- Shloka Kini '13,
Please Take My Survey: Compliance with smartphone-based EMA/ESM
- Anna Knowles '16, Integrating Bluetooth Low Energy Peripherals with the Amulet.
- Rebecca Lau '13, Home Hypertension Monitoring
- Clara Lee '03,
Persistence and Prevalence in the Mobility of Dartmouth Wireless Network Users.
- Chris Masone '02
Role Definition Language (RDL): A Language to Describe Context-Aware Roles.
- Arun Mathias '01,
SmartReminder: A Case Study on Context-Sensitive Applications.
- Ayorkor Mills-Tettey '01
Mobile Voice Over IP (MVOIP): An Application-level Protocol.
- Cal Newport '04, Presidential Scholar;
Simulating mobile ad hoc networks: a quantitative evaluation of common MANET simulation models.
- Scott M. Silver '96,
Analysis of Software Based Fault Isolation.
- Emma Smithayer '12,
system for verifying blood-pressure measurement position.
- Pablo Stern '01,
Measuring early usage of Dartmouth's wireless network.
- Joel Thomas '96, The Panda Array I/O Library on the Galley Parallel File System.
- Song Bac Toh '95, Presidential Scholar;
a Video-on-Demand System.
- Bingyue Wang '16, Learning Device Usage in Context: A Continuous and Hierarchical Smartphone Authentication Scheme.
- Abe White '02,
Performance and Interoperability In Solar.
- Eric White '98, A Comparison of Mobile Agent Migration Mechanisms.
Other former graduate students
- John Baek (wireless security)
- Clint Hepner (mobile agents on PalmOS)
- Mark Montague (multiprocessor file systems)
- Chris Langmead (mobile agents)
- Rui Liu (2016-2017)
- Dan Peebles
- Brian Premore (parallel file systems)
- Lin Zhong (worm traffic on the wireless network)
Other former undergraduates
- Yining Chen '18, Presidential Scholar,
- Alexandra Dalton '16, senior thesis in
- Morgan Sorbaro '20, WISP student on
- Emma Oberstein '18, Presidential Scholar in
- Lucy Tantum '19, WISP student in
on THaW project.
- John Kotz '19,
on THaW project.
- Zach Marois '12, TISH project
- Alex Riina '11, CRAWDAD project
- Christina Ma '14, WISP student in TISH project
- Michael Perezous '19, Presidential Scholar,
- Alex Della Pia '14, WISP student in TISH project
- Janet Kim '13, WISP student in TISH project
- Phil Fazio '10, NetSANI project
- Ilya Abyzov '05 (study of VoIP/wireless on campus)
- Kalpana Bagri '95
- Matt Carter '98, Presidential Scholar (parallel file systems)
- Edwin Chong '98
- Ruslan Dimov '08, programmer on
the CRAWDAD project
- Marjorie Lathrop '96
- Dana Malajian '10, WISP student in
the CRAWDAD project
- Dan Peebles '07
- Sriram Radhakrishnan '95, Presidential Scholar
- Rajiv Wickremesinghe '95
- Kobby Essien '02 (measuring campus-wide wireless usage)
- Amanda Eubanks '03 WISP (pervasive computing, hand-held computers)
- Adrian Hartline '03 (context-aware web portal)
- Spencer Lawley '06 (wireless network security)
- Chris Lentz '03 (mapping wireless networks)
- Kelly Duggar '06 WISP (location-aware app)
- David Blinn '06 (wireless network)
- Nick Christman '08, privacy in location-aware applications
- Jon Jacobson '06, junior programmer for
- Zhiyuan (Jack) Zhang '10;
Other former undergraduates
(mobile agents students
co-advised with Daniela Rus)
- Ryan Acton '00
- Mihai Banulescu '99 (applications)
- Miranda Barrows '96 (network prediction)
- Christian Bennett '99 (lab manager)
- Bill Bleier '98 (Agent Java)
- Mike Brewer '99
- James Chalfant '99 (agent-tracking tool)
- Eric Chen '17,
- Nathan Cook '98 (lab management)
- Michael Corr (agent-tracking tool)
- Joe Edelman '99 (electronic currency, yellow pages, applications)
- Mark Giles '96 (agent navigation)
- David Gondek '98 (Agent Scheme)
- Mark Hoagland '98 (demo)
- David Hofer '97 (lab management)
- Ahsan Kabir '98 (Agent Scheme)
- Alex Iliev '01 (agent-tracking visualization)
- Vishesh Khemani '98 (laptop support, debugger, agent tracker)
- Jason Kochel '99 (logistics)
- Dawn Lawrie '97, Presidential Scholar (agent navigation)
- Rob Leathern '97 (economics)
- David Marmaros '01 (personal radio)
- Tom Millett '98 (demo)
- Josh Mills '97 (Agent Java)
- Neha Narula '03, WISP (wireless networks, hand-held computers)
- Jack Pien '98
- Fred Reiss '00
- Garth Sainio '98 (laptops, measurement)
- Dan Scholnick '00
- Sophie Sheeline '16 (mHealth) WISP
- Jun Shen '98 (laptop support)
- Matt Soldo '99 (communication)
- Jeffrey Steeves '99, Presidential Scholar (resource managers)
- Tarim Wasim '99 (sound support)
- Jake Wegmann '97 (sound and graphics)
- Eric White '98 (Agent Java)
- Alik Widge '99 (Agent Scheme)
- Tiffany Wong '01, Presidential Scholar (wireless networks, hand-held computers)
- Jeff Zimpleman '00 (performance measurements)
Former research staff
- George Boateng '16, Amulet project
- Arne Grimstrup, programmer on the
- Punch Taylor, helping to deploy wireless APs in the
- Brett Tofel, programmer on the
- Bennet Vance, programmer in the
MAP and DIST projects
- Jihwang Yeo, staffer on the